Monday 29 October 2012

The Dales and The Film Fest - and some valued perspective

It has been too long since I last blogged, but the past couple of weeks have been most fulfilling.

Following Dave and I's great wee trip to the West Coast, and reaching the wonderful goal of my 10th Munro, I was excited to head off on another adventure.

This time I was heading south, off to the Yorkshire Dales with my colleague Jenny for a research trip. We were hoping to get a bit of walking done whilst we were there but alas, the weather was not in our favour. We had a successful few days exploring Swaledale, Wharfedale, Wensleydale (and sampling much of its delicious cheese!), and lovely villages such as Reeth, Hawes, Kirkby Stephen, and Appleby.

On our fourth day we managed to get out for a short walk on the Lady Anne's Way, one of the new walks we'll be offering at work for next year.




It was lovely to be out and about, strolling in the fresh Yorkshire air and enjoying the views. I was a wee bit nervous with so many sheep about but managed to cope!

My highlight of the week however had to be a short stroll to Hardraw Force (on the Herriot Way fact fans!), the highest single drop waterfall in England. With so much rainfall recently, the waterfull was gi'in it laldie:



This weekend has brought another exciting event, which has given me a renewed and fresh perspective on things. This was the weekend of the 10th Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival, an absolutely fantastic event which was not on my radar until this year. We had a stand at work, and it was great to have the opportunity to get out and chat to people.

I've put a lot of work into conquering my nerves this past year. There are occasions where my progress is put to the test - and I'm not too sure I do so well - by my own standards anyway. I had a really hard time, initially, feeling brave enough to speak to people. It's an overwhelming feeling - I feel sick, I just want to run away and hide.

However. That would be the easy way out. I really have to force myself not to run away. Generally things end up okay, but it feels like a mountain in itself to overcome. These challenges are useful to check out my progress - or lack of it - yet frustrating at the same time.

I've bagged my 10th Munro, but I don't have a measurable equivalent when it comes to my anxiety. I can only go on my feelings - and they come and go.

Anyway, the best thing about the Film Festival was the opportunity to see some of the films on show, and listen to some of the inspiring lectures from the guest speakers. These amazing people have achieved incredible things, and it is truly humbling to hear their tales.

I may never reach the North or South Pole (I'm okay with that) but I've even more determined to achieve my own personal goals. That means those 272 unbagged mountains out there in the north of Scotland are going to be conquered at some point. This weekend has cemented my certainty.

I've just signed up to do a winter walking course in the Cairngorms too. Maybe I do need to check out my progress a bit more often when it comes to my anxiety. I know I've progressed a lot in this past year, although I am often frustrated that I haven't progressed more. I've never been very patient...

But I'll get to the summit eventually - that I am sure of.



No comments:

Post a Comment