Sunday 4 November 2012

A year ago...

...the 4th of November was a Friday night. Mum and Dad had been to the Dominion. Dave and I had met them afterwards at the Merlin for some dinner. Mum had brought with her a letter that I had asked her to print for me. I had signed it and posted it at a Morningside postbox on our way back to the flat.

The next day we'd planned to climb Schiehallion.

I felt strange that night, a real mixture of emotions. I had finally committed to a decision that was over a year in the making.

My letter didn't arrive until the Monday morning. By that point I was on a ferry to Arran in the sunshine. I was beginning a new chapter.

The letter was my letter of resignation and one of the hardest things I've ever had to write. Or feel.

It is such a weird feeling to look back on this time last year and to think about how much has changed. I am quite a reflective person, and although I am trying to look back less - and live in the present more - it is often useful to think back on a time in a previous year and to measure the progress, the changes, the differences.

These dates stick in my mind so much. The 2nd of November - I finished my last Skye tour. The 4th of November - I posted my letter of resignation. The 5th of November - remember, remember. A small bump on the motorway. The 7th of November - Dave's birthday. Our trip to Arran. The day the letter arrived and it all became real.

I'd taken a scary step. But the right step. It didn't feel brave but looking back I suppose there was an element of bravery behind it. I can't say that I left a comfortable job for the unknown. It was never a comfortable job. But there certainly was unknown. A few months of it.

And finally, things started to look brighter in the first 2 months of 2012. Things have been progressing for me. It is time to look forward - but mostly to attempt to live in the present, to enjoy the moment, to feel what I am feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment