Tuesday 26 February 2013

A wander on the wild side

As I suspected, the Six Nations put paid to any big walking plans this past weekend. I walked a couple of miles around Edinburgh, gathering socks, baselayers, plasters and other walking bits and bobs as I went. I also gave my 15th pint of blood and felt all the better for it.

All in all it was a practical weekend. I am literally itching to get out on the West Highland Way now. I simply cannot wait. With the lighter evenings and the sunshine - not to mention the snowdrops and crocuses popping up - it feels that spring is finally approaching. Before I attempt my first ever long distance trail, Dave and I are heading over to Arran again and - weather permitting - climbing Goat Fell. March is full of good things and I feel like a child on Christmas Eve with all the excitement.

Meanwhile, two events in the past week have really got me thinking. First of all a presentation by Visit Scotland on the Year of Natural Scotland and Homecoming 2014. It was interesting to hear how the "winning years" have really come together, and to realise that I have been in tourism since the start of this, in 2009. Every year I've learnt more and more, and am incredibly proud of the route I have taken. I am genuinely excited at the buzz surrounding Scottish tourism and its progression.

Today brought another interesting day on the Water of Leith, this time for a Tourism Intelligence event on Wildlife Tourism. Caroline Warburton from Wild Scotland led an extremely informative talk on Scotland's wildlife and the ins and outs of Wildlife Tourism. The Year of Natural Scotland is a massive opportunity for people to explore Scotland's wildlife. Whilst previously this may have been a niche market, it now drives a large number of visitors to the country.

This really got me thinking about my own relationship with Scotland's wildlife. And I realise I have taken it for granted. When you grow up with something on your doorstep you don't tend to realise that you are fortunate to have it. I grew up with holidays on the Moray Firth and dolphin spotting was something that was done between golf, walking and sandcastle-building. Don't get me wrong, it was exciting to see dolphins but it seemed so normal when we were kids. Now, looking back, I realise we were extremely lucky.


As a tour guide I had constant opportunities to see Scotland's wildlife. Every day would bring something different. My favourite place to go was Neist Point on Skye and to sit on the rocks, looking out to the Uists and feeling relaxed. The weather often had something to say about that, and on one memorable occasion the wind was blowing the foam from the sea up above the cliffs and it appeared to be snowing.

I was fortunate enough to spot minke whales a couple of times. Watching gannets dive was truly incredible, although my appreciation of the sea birds came only after a couple on my tour from Guernsey explained the differences between guillemots, kittiwakes, shags and the rest to me. I could see how delighted they were, as bird-watchers, to be able to lie on the cliff tops and spot some fine sea birds. I fully appreciate now what that meant to them.

We always saw plenty of these too though, which may have been just as special for other people on tour:


I'd always take my tour out to see the seals in Loch Dunvegan. Nine times out of ten they'd be on the rocks, occasionally they'd be bobbing up and down in the water. Always a treat, and I felt lucky, but I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have.

Time spent at Inversnaid on the banks of Loch Lomond was often rewarded by getting quite close to feral goats. I'd never seen creatures such as these before, and their horns always fascinated me!


Deer were often viewed from the window on the drive down Glen Shiel, or very frequently near the A9. I had a couple of near misses, including a majestic (but almost awful) moment just south of Lochearnhead when 4 deer ran in front of the bus, the last one leaping over the bonnet just inches in front of me.

Talking of leaping, I never saw salmon do their thing whilst I was a tour guide, but I saw my first salmon leap in East Linton last year. A few weeks later I saw a couple more in Jedburgh, which was really magic. All that time spent at the Hermitage in Perthshire trying to spot them leap out the River Braan to no avail!

Last October's trip to Mull, Iona and Staffa was truly special. Getting close to seal pups was something I never thought I would do, and it was incredible!

Just a few weeks ago I saw my first ever mountain hare in its beautiful white winter plummage.

Thinking about all of these special moments has really made me realise that I have been fortunate enough to enjoy a wide number of wildlife-related experiences. Only from these tourism events have I been able to collect my thoughts, collate my experiences and realise how lucky I am. I certainly have taken for granted the fact that this wildlife is right here on my doorstep.

My eyes and ears will be even more open in the coming weeks as I get back out there to enjoy Scotland's nature. Last time we took the ferry to Arran it was a stunning blue-sky November day, and porpoises swam near to the ferry. 

I will end with some of my favourite beasts - some of Scotland's finest and always a winner with visitors!


No comments:

Post a Comment