Tuesday 9 April 2013

Home is where the heart is...

Here I am, fully immersed back into 'normal life' as if nothing out of the ordinary has happened. I was - and still am - determined not to forget that feeling of freedom that being out on the West Highland Way brought to me. I must - and I will - channel that positivity in productive ways. I must - and I will - remember the happiness and sense of well-being I felt.

The happiness continued following my previous post. The feedback I received regarding my tales from the trail was truly overwhelming. May I take this opportunity to thank everyone who tweeted, shared, commented on, and read the post. For me this support is genuinely appreciated.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit flat on returning to routine. However I do hope to make the most of my weekends and get out and about as much as I can. My urge to Munro bag is returning. I haven't been brave enough to get out there in the snow, apart from my winter skills day at Glenshee of course. Now the snow is gradually beginning to go (I shouldn't speak too soon - apparently there's more to come tomorrow!) it's time for me to embrace Alba's mountains once more.

First things first, I need to get new laces for my boots, which snapped in Glen Nevis after 93 miles!

And so at the weekend I took my trail shoes out and embraced how much home has to offer. I was looking after our family dog whilst my mum and dad were down in London, and it was so nice to breathe in country air once again. No sharing walls with noisy neighbours, no car noise, no noise...just birds tweeting and proper air. I learnt yet another interesting fact from Dave whilst out walking; that the lichen growing on the trees above our heads - Old Man's Beard - only grows properly in good quality air.

We took a stroll out past the Golf Course towards Mendick Hill, a favourite climb of ours. It was great to see all the wee lambs hopping about madly in the fields.


We strolled all the way to Garvald, briefly leaving the Scottish Borders and entering South Lanarkshire as we went. The path was good, the walking was straightforward, the sun was shining, and it was just nice to be out again. The route took us back past a couple of interesting cairns, before arriving back at the Golf Course, at the ninth green.

Just a couple of hours, around 9 miles, but enough to cheer me up again. Home will always be home, happiness will always be fresh air and blue Scottish skies.

I have so many walks I want to do. I just really hope the weekend weather behaves itself in the weeks (and months!) to come.

I hope you'll continue to follow my progress as I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment