Monday 20 May 2013

A drookit day in the Ochils!

I'd been looking forward to the 18th of May ever since last November, when I took up the Mountaineering Council of Scotland's offer of a navigation skills course and a year's membership.

My 'navigation skills' are pretty much non-existant. I'm not that great at reading a map, and I'm clueless when it comes to anything more technical than map-reading. It is for this reason that I've kept to the well-trodden paths, and straightforward Munros (well, that, and fear). I haven't been anywhere that has required any navigational skills whatsoever.

But that's not to say that I didn't think I should have those skills. I always feel that I should know more. I don't want to get into a situation that I can't get out of because I don't know the basics. In fact I think courses like the ones that the Mountaineering Council are running should be almost mandatory for those heading out into the hills.

Especially if you are like me, and a bit of a worrier. The panic I got myself into on Beinn Ghlas when the mist descended was enough to put me off solo-bagging for a long while.

So this course seemed perfect, and even though it may be a while before I need these skills put into action, having them is a massive confidence boost.

The day began at 9am at the Ochils Mountain Rescue Base, near Tillicoultry. We began with an hour of theory, and it seemed very daunting at first. There was so much to take in, and I felt very much a beginner. However, Heather Morning did a great job, especially telling us industry speak (like "red in the bed") rather than bombarding us with technical terms. Putting the skills into practice out in the hills would be the real challenge.

We made our way to Dollar and to the carpark at Castle Campbell, where the adventure would begin. I don't know this part of the world very well, and I was massively impressed with the Ochils, Dollar and the Castle.

Castle Campbell
Now, the forecast for today was pretty shocking, but so far it had been dry and cloudy. This was all about to change...

We made our way towards Kings Seat, via Bank Hill. The surroundings were lovely.



We put a few of our newly acquired skills into practice on the way to Bank Hill. Phew I thought, the weather is holding out after all. We passed a group of Duke of Edinburghers heading the same way as us. The views were nice, and we were entertained by Heather's dog, Milly.


Then. The weather took a massive turn for the worse.

It began to get extremely windy, to the point where bag covers were blowing off and Heather was shouting to be heard. Then the rain came - and battered us.

We ploughed on, heading up Kings Seat with gritted teeth, hoods up and heads down. At the top of Kings Seat the weather was at its worst - 45mph winds with sideways rain/hail that stung your face if you turned towards it. Heather tried her best to keep us informed about our route, but there was no way teaching was possible in that weather. It was no wonder she named our group 'the gnarly girls' - there were 7 of us ladies including Heather, and we were all determined to see it through.

On the way down the hill Heather told me it was the worst weather they'd had on a "summer" navigation course in the five years they'd been running. It was truly miserable! I slipped on the way down the hill, anxious to get to the safety of a valley.

The other group descending the hill on the right of this picture

Once we were off the hill, the rain stopped and the wind eased. We met the other half of the group who were going a different way to us, and they looked just as wet. Most of the gnarly girls were wet through their waterproofs, and there was an uncomfortably damp feeling about it all!

We stopped by the Burn of Sorrow, and a day like this was a fitting way to appreciate that title!

Lunch was guzzled, and soon we were heading off again, learning about handrailing, pacing, and walking on a bearing. We had a slight change of plan for the route in the afternoon, but the rain had finally stopped so we were able to learn lots.

It was certainly challenging, but I'm proud to have given it a go, and I'd feel more confident about all things navigational next time I'm out. That being said, I'll have to practice or I will forget it!

The afternoon was great fun, and eventually we made our way to Tillicoultry, where we were collected.


It was then a very damp and uncomfortable (and chilly!) drive back to Edinburgh, but the hot shower when I got home was just delightful.

Thanks so much to Heather Morning and the Mountaineering Council of Scotland - these courses are fantastic for getting people out in the hills, and giving them a bit more confidence when it comes to navigation.

I hope to put the lessons into practice soon - but hopefully not this weekend, when I'll place my trust in those more experienced! The plan for the weekend can be hinted at in two words, and I won't say anymore in case the weather puts paid to the plan. But keep an eye on the blog next week and you may hear a wee story about a....

Midnight. Munro.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Stu's parents took me to castle Campbell and dollar one if the first times i visited then. His mum grew up around Dollar. So jealous!

    ReplyDelete