Tuesday 7 May 2013

A wee trip south!

I didn't manage to blog last week although it was a very pleasant weekend spent pottering and relaxing. Saturday took me to Stronachie Hill near Balado with fabulous views north towards the Angus glens. Sunday was spent in the fine Kingdom of Fife, picking shells on the West Sands beach at St Andrews, and indulging in some of Anstruther's finest foods.






This Bank Holiday weekend however took me south of the border, to Ashtead to see my wee bro. We had an action packed weekend planned, including London sightseeing, an adventure on the South Downs Way and a jaunt up Boxhill.

We ended up walking lots! Our day in London was spent walking for miles and miles round the sights. I really enjoyed it! It was my first proper trip to London, and my bro did a good job as a tour guide! We paid our respects to William Wallace at the spot he was executed at Smithfield, before winding our way round to Big Ben via Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square and Buckingham Palace. We took a wee trip on the London Eye, and then went to see Susan Calman in - of all venues - the Udderbelly! A wee taste of home in a foreign land :)







I'd been really looking forward to getting out for a walk, and Sunday did not disappoint. After a late start (I'd been awake for 18 hours the day before!), we eventually got to Hassocks around 3pm. We had a few epic journeys by public transport to get there, the Bank Holiday weekend and the sunshine really bringing people out in their droves!

From Hassocks it was short - but reasonably steep - uphill stroll to the South Downs Way, past 'Jack and Jill', the Clayton Windmills. We then joined a ridge walk with wide panoramas all round. Lots of people were out and about, it was a beautiful sunny day, and we could just see the coast through the haze.






We strolled quite quickly and all of a sudden we were three miles from Lewes, our destination. The path took us down by the River Ouse with views of Lewes Castle in the distance. It was most pleasant, and the way into Lewes provided more castle-viewing opportunities. Lewes is a really nice town, and we enjoyed a cheeky beer in the White Hart Hotel before catching the train back to Ashtead.




Though not as dramatic as more northern walks, my short stroll on the South Downs Way provided me with an appreciation of what is on my doorstep, and good memories of a happy day in the sunshine with my youngest brother.

We spent the next day in the sunshine too, with a trip to Boxhill. We hopped over the seventeen stepping stones over the River Mole, before taking a step path up to the top of Boxhill. I struggled a bit in the heat, knowing I'm made for colder climates! Again the panoramas were really nice, and lots of people were out enjoying the sun.





It was so nice to get a change of scene and an appreciation for an area I'd never been to. I flew back to Edinburgh last night feeling more refreshed than three days prior, with a bit of sunburn too. Thankfully it has been such a nice day in Edinburgh today to ease me back in!

There's many plans afoot for the coming weeks, walks, mountains and more. Stay with me...I may get my twelfth Munro in sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment