Wednesday 9 April 2014

An old favourite, revisited

Having moved to the Scottish Borders, any time I've been able to get out on a walk has generally been within the vicinity of God's own country - we moved to the countryside for the fresh air and so it makes sense to spend our spare time exploring what's on our doorstep.

It therefore felt rather odd to drive back into Edinburgh for last Sunday's walk! However, it's nice to be reminded of all the reasons I love the city. I'm there every week day for work, but I never really see Edinburgh. Now I've moved away from the city I'm able to view it differently, and this made for an interesting day exploring an old favourite stroll.

My pal Amanda and I planned to walk the length of the Water of Leith; she in training for a 26 mile walk to raise money for ME (www.justgiving.com/AJMac4Kaz), and I am training for the Half Moon Walk.

The Water of Leith is a walk I'd done in its entirety twice before with Dave, and parts of it frequently as a resident of Polwarth. I was looking forward to revisiting it as a 'visitor' to Edinburgh, and to spending some good quality time with a good friend.

Amanda and I set off from Balerno at 10.30am, and we set quite a quick pace for ourselves. I really enjoyed the first part of the walk, through leafy woodland, past fields with horses and sheep, alongside the water. People - running, walking, cycling - said hello, and it just made for some very pleasant strolling.


We saw lots of dogs too, and they usually stopped for a chat!


Soon we reached the Visitor Centre at Slateford, which is a brilliant facility. From there, the walk became more urbanised as we got closer to the city centre. We passed Murrayfield, and Amanda spotted a great opportunity for a few jumping photos, which are always such fun.


From there, a lovely stroll took us to Dean Village, which is just a beautiful part of Edinburgh. Nearby is Stockbridge, the Colonies, Canonmills, and then you edge ever closer to Leith.


By the time we reached the Shore it was almost 3pm, and we felt quite tired and ready for a rest! I took Amanda to the only place Dave and I would go after completing the Water of Leith - Teuchter's Landing - for macaroni cheese in a mug! You just cannae beat it.


I could have fallen asleep in my seat. I felt exhausted, although of course there was the great sense of achievement that we'd just walked 13 miles.

Then I wished I lived in the city again, to save me having to get a bus back to the car and then drive 45 minutes home!

It was a lovely walk - good company, lots to see, jumping photos, delicious food at the end - what more could you want?!

It's also always nice to test yourself and your fitness. I felt much sorer the next day, and the day after that, than I did after a day of 20 miles on the Wicklow Way. I'm not sure why.

And now, on the eve of turning 28, I have to admit to myself that I have not achieved the target I set myself of 28 Munros by age 28. I am disappointed I was unable to achieve this - I worry that for some reason this year I will not achieve my goals and I will disappoint myself.

Only I can break this cycle...perhaps tomorrow I will be older and wiser and figure out how!

No comments:

Post a Comment