Tuesday 31 January 2017

January days...

Normally I find myself furiously wishing January away, longing for the slightly longer days of February (well, March actually) and looking forward to the Six Nations starting as a distraction to these cold winter times. I find myself relieved when January is over, almost as if it has been a battle of survival to get that one step closer to spring.

But not this year. 2016 flew by so quickly, and I put this down to wedding planning. Being so focused on one date often meant I wished time away, eager and excited for the big day.

Now I find myself wishing time would slow down, and wondering how I can ensure 2017 does not disappear in the same way 2016 did.

I'm not sure this is possible, but it makes a nice change to be at least attempting to enjoy these January days rather than wishing them away.

Now, at the end of the month (wondering where it has gone!?!), I can reflect that January brought bright days, plenty of walks, haggis, and a wonderful trip to Skye.

The photos below include walks around Stow, St Boswells/Dryburgh, Abbotsford, and Loch Leven. January has brought almost 85 miles so far...
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
On Skye we enjoyed a real variety of weather (with wind being the only consistent factor!). We planned to walk out to Rubha Hanish on Wednesday but got absolutely battered by wind, rain and hail. We made it to the bothy for some shelter, and turned for home, walking into the wind on the way back which wasn't fun!

The contrast with Thursday was remarkable - the wind was still strong but the sun had come out and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Well, there wasn't until we headed west to catch the sunset - sadly the cloud was on the west of Skye. However we went seal-spotting at Loch Dunvegan instead - until the wind forced our retreat that is.
 
 
 
Wednesday...
Thursday...

 
 
 
 
 
Battered by the weather on our walk to Rubha Hanish!

No comments:

Post a Comment