Tuesday 25 April 2017

Keeping it local: Pentlands, Eildons & East Lothian

After 7 Munros in 16 days, and finally getting the bagging bug again, I suddenly lost the impetus for it and needed a rest week (or two). I was feeling up for the hills but I couldn't face the driving - sometimes I wish I could move my house a wee bit closer to the mountains.

Easter Sunday brought a great walk in the Pentlands thanks to Ross - although he hadn't booked the good weather, and we encountered snow showers on the way up East and West Kip, and Scald Law. However, as the walk progressed the weather improved, and we got some views.
Looking to the Kips
Tig on the trig - Scald Law summit
It turned out to be a 4 hour walk, but it was really great to be out and about.

After 47 days of not eating meat, and four wet cold hours in the hills, roast beef has never tasted so good.














Two days later, I was feeling the need to get back in the hills but again not feeling up to a Munro trip, so I headed to the Eildons. I'd never been up Eildon Wester Hill before - it just didn't look as exciting as Mid and North - but it turned out to be a really enjoyable wee hill. I had it all to myself, and really appreciated the views back to the other two Eildons.

I decided to return to Melrose via the summit of North, completing two of the three Eildons.

Looking to Mid and North
Heading up North
Looking back to Wester and Mid

Dave and I are now back in our unsociable summer work schedule, giving us only a Thursday off together. We took a trip out to Gullane for a lovely walk on the beach, followed by delicious fish and chips. It was pretty much a perfect day!

It's great to remind myself that some of the best walks and days out are literally on my doorstep. The Munros will always be there, and I will enjoy taking the time to explore and venture out to them when my head is in the right space.

Speaking of which...tonight I'll try to be brave and publish a 'from the heart' blog post. This is a series I hope to devote time to in the coming months, where I will try to write more openly and honestly about anxiety - after all, that's really why I set this blog up!

No comments:

Post a Comment