Thursday 29 June 2017

Walking in memory of Elliot

Back in 2013 I walked the West Highland Way and had the most incredible week of sun, snow, solitude, and stunning scenery. I walked alone - but not really. I had numerous family members accompany me on the way and actually only had one day out of six that I didn't see or walk with a relative.

One of my favourite memories of walking the Way is from the fifth day. It was the longest day for me, 21 miles from Bridge of Orchy to Kinlochleven. I walked solo for the first 12 miles, to Inveroran and over Rannoch Moor to Kingshouse. Mum walked out to meet me near the Glencoe Ski Centre, and as I approached the Kingshouse Hotel I was met by my cousin Elliot who had our family dog Robbie, then further on my Dad and Uncle Colin.
Dad and Elliot joined me for the section between Kingshouse and Kinlochleven, whilst Mum took Robbie and Uncle Colin took his campervan to meet us at the end.

I was so glad to have company for this 9 mile section. It kept my spirits up on a long, hard day. It allowed special memories to be made - we could never have known then how meaningful these memories would become...


We sadly lost Robbie the dog on 29th January 2016.

Just over two weeks later, in a tragic accident that none of us will ever get our heads around, we lost Elliot. He was 21 years old.

In the weeks and months that followed, family, friends and acquintances have raised thousands of pounds in Elliot's memory for Jessie's Fund, a charity that helps children to communicate through music. Elliot was a very talented musician. As a family I think we will always hold this charity dear to our hearts as it has provided a positive focus after Elliot's death. Dave and I raised money for Jessie's Fund at our wedding, but more impressive than that there have been marathons run and walks undertaken to raise money in memory of Elliot.
I've wanted to revisit the Kingshouse to Kinlochleven section of the West Highland Way for quite some time. As the day of what would have been Elliot's 23rd birthday approached, it seemed fitting to get family members together to walk together in Elliot's memory.

After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with cars and logistics, we - 10 walkers and 2 dogs - set off from the Kingshouse Hotel at 12.15pm on Sunday 25th June. It was raining, windy and cold. More like March weather than June...

The path and tracks were quite wet, but thankfully the weather did improve as we walked on. The views of the Buachaille, Glencoe and the surrounding mountains were as stunning as always. We took the Devil's Staircase gradually, resting on each zig-zag.

I was surprised to see the 'shop' signs weren't a joke - some kind soul has set up a couple of tents at the top of the Devil's Staircase selling sweets and Irn Bru - brilliant! Just need bacon rolls now...
It was lovely to get to the top of the Devil's Staircase and revisit the highest point of the West Highland Way. But it was emotional to be back here too. I couldn't help but feel the absence of Elliot's presence.
 

We walked on a wee bit further to get out of the wind for lunch, and when we stopped, we raised a wee dram to him. I think he would have appreciated this - on that cold snowy March day in 2013, he ripped his trousers on a fall (from walking too quickly/clumsily!) and must have felt the cold that day!


It's pretty much all downhill to Kinlochleven, but it's further than you think, and I'd also forgotten how much of a slog that downhill section can feel. Eventually we got there, 5 hours after we left.

We got everyone back to Kingshouse to the various cars, and said our goodbyes.

I hope this can be a yearly walk, but in the space of a year there will be other events, fundraising opportunites, and moments of reflection. Elliot will never be forgotten and revisiting this section of the WHW has brought the memories of 2013 back even stronger than ever.

Here's to you ET.

No comments:

Post a Comment