Sunday 7 January 2018

Feeling keen...for 2018!

When a new year arrives, traditionally - for me - it also brings with it many fears and anxieties. Often these relate to not knowing what is ahead, or knowing but not being comfortable with 'the plan' (such as returning to a job that you know deep down isn't right for you any more). I have started numerous years with a blank canvas - literally nothing or very little on the calendar. These years often turn out to be the most rewarding, perhaps because I go in with a more open mind.

For someone who is a natural planner, it is difficult for me to not make plans. But I often feel a certain trust that everything will work out the way it is supposed to. For a natural pessimist (or realist?!), it surprises me to feel this way!

I am certainly feeling positive about 2018 (love even numbers😁), but much of that is due to changes made and steps taken in 2017. So it makes sense for me to look back at the year that has just past as part of the process of looking forward to the year ahead...
(I've done this every year: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)

It's interesting that last year I wrote this:

After a full-on, crazy, exciting, busy, stressful and fun year, it is slightly strange to be starting 2017 with a blank canvas. There are no big plans on the horizon (apart from hopefully a trip/honeymoon to America/Iceland!) but Dave and I need to make some changes in our working life in order to feel more fulfilled. That process is daunting but exciting.  

So I hope 2017 will bring plenty of walking, exciting trips, spending time with family and friends, and hopefully more Munros! I'm averaging one a year at the moment, so really need to change that. All being well I should be giving my 25th pint of blood this year, meaning I'll have donated more pints of blood than bagged Munros...I think that's okay!

I'd say that turned out to be pretty prophetic...got the honeymoon to America/Iceland, made the changes in our working life, enjoyed plenty of walks and exciting trips, spent time with family and friends, bagged more Munros, and donated my 25th - and 26th - pints of blood! Plus much more.

January was....January. In amongst work, Dave and I enjoyed local walks and a brilliant trip to Skye to spend time with our friends.
By the time February arrived, the days were getting slightly longer and we had the Six Nations to entertain us. We enjoyed a lovely walk up Ben A'an in the Trossachs, raising a toast to my cousin Elliot at the top, and getting a hint of the spectacular views - one day I'll be back to see those views!
I found myself in a real funk in February. It's a tough time of year anyway, but I couldn't shake the negative feelings off. Thankfully we had the chance to escape for some winter sun which really made a difference. We spent a week in Catalonia with our friends Gibson, Paula, baby Gibson, Dan and Col. The sunshine made a huge difference to my mood, as did the nice walks, good food and company, and a lovely swim in the Med!
 

I felt so much more refreshed by the time March arrived. A trip to Yellowcraigs beach was good for the soul, and the month proved to be an active one as we spent a week in West Linton dog-sitting and walking lots. We also gave up meat for Lent (as a challenge to ourselves, not for religious reasons), and felt better for it - in fact we stopped including meat in our big shop after this so it's definitely been a positive change.
March 2017 also brought my first Munro-bagging trip since March 2016! An absolutely brilliant day with my cousin Colin and his friend Callum, bagging the four Glen Lyon Munros. It was a great confidence booster for me, and triggered a couple of months of Munro trips - 2017 brought me thirteen in all, the most I've bagged in one year.

April brought a short-lived return to seasonal employment, but I managed to make the most of my days off to travel to the hills. Dad and I completed the boggiest two in the Lawers range, Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Leith. These were Tig's first Munros and she loved them!
I turned 31, and had a lovely celebration with family followed by my 31st Munro on the day itself. I hadn't managed to get my 30th Munro on my 30th birthday in 2016, but I'm glad now because 31 on 31 was even better! Mum joined me, and Stuchd an Lochain remains one of my favourite Munro days out.


Ross and I also bagged Ben Vorlich at Loch Lomond on the 30th April, meaning it was a bit of a bonanza Munro-bagging-with-family month - excellent!



April also brought lots of lovely local walks, and a 'from the heart' blog post about panic attacks.

A busy month indeed, and May was no different. Sadly some challenging times at work left me signed off, but I took the chance to do a bit of soul-searching and take time for myself.

This also meant I managed a few more Munro trips, bagging the Cairnwell Three at Glenshee (although I'd already done Carn Aosda) with my friend Kate, and Mount Keen with Dave. Our Mount Keen adventure, on one of the hottest days of the year, is certainly up there in my top Munro days - it was just the most incredible day for a walk, and so nice to spend quality time with Dave and Tig. This day was so good for the soul, and the mind.
June arrived and I struggled with the ups and downs of life/life with anxiety. I had a cracking day out in the Pentlands with Tig, and a nice walk up Minch Moor with Dad and Ross and the dogs, but in general felt a bit flat.


I did manage another Munro, An Socach, and managed to feel confident enough to tackle it myself. This turned out to be my last Munro of 2017, due to car problems and life getting in the way for the following months. I am still really chuffed I managed to do thirteen, and thoroughly enjoy them all.

One of the best walks of the year came in June - a family walk between Kingshouse and Kinlochleven in memory of Elliot.

The miles continued in July with a stroll round Loch Leven, but it proved to be a tough month managing my anxiety. Thankfully my Granny's 90th birthday and my brother Colin being back from France brought some lovely family times, and the month ended on a high note with a trip to Hopeman. Plenty of walking and fresh air, plus a couple of relaxing swims in the Moray Firth - perfect.


July also brought the Dog Jog - I didn't know it at the time but this 5k with Tig would actually prove to be a return to running for me. So it's interesting to read the following words back that I wrote on the last day of July:

I'm a bit sore today so maybe this isn't my return to running...or maybe I should persevere. If July has taught me anything, it's to stick in and keep going.

I've Ross to thank for it really, he got me to do the Dog Jog and then told me about Parkrun, which has been one of the biggest changes to my life recently. I really did not think I was a runner, but yet most Saturday mornings since August I have found myself at Vogrie Country Park running 5k with countless others. It has been so much fun and really helped my waning confidence.

I didn't blog in August but it did bring my 25th blood donation, a walk up West Lomond, Stowed Out music festival with Gibson, Paula and baby Gibson, and with the aforementioned Parkrun experience. It's really interesting when I read my diary back and I've written my Parkrun time, generally followed by a comment along the lines of 'I don't think I can run any faster than that'. On the 19th of August I ran exactly 27 minutes and genuinely thought that was the fastest I could go...yet on the 2nd of Decemeber I ran 24 minutes 36 seconds. It really is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

I wrote about the benefits of running to my mental health in a September blog post. My blogging became very sporadic after the summer, as I managed only three blog posts from July to December. The latter part of the year has certainly been very challenging as we've dealt with illness in the family.

It was, however, lovely to be part of history on the 2nd of September when Mum, Dad, Dave and myself walked over the Queensferry Crossing and even met Scotland's First Minister on the other side!
September also brought an amazing evening celebrating my in-law's 50th wedding anniversary, and right at the end of the month we jetted off on honeymoon to Iceland.

We thus found ourselves in Reykjavik when October began, exploring the 'city' and hiring a car to discover as much of the Golden Circle as we could. Iceland is a truly incredible country and one we'd highly recommend visiting.

From Iceland we flew to North Carolina in time for my best friend's wedding. Emily married Blair on the 7th of October, a truly special day. We spent our first wedding anniversary with our dear friends in America, before heading home after a wonderful adventure.

The rest of the month brought a few walks, a visit to Inchcolm Abbey, and some volunteering stints at Parkrun - it felt good to give something back! Finally, at the end of the month, I ran a 10k in Jedburgh with Ross - an amazing experience that again really boosted my confidence!

November brought another walk around Loch Leven, the third of the year. I also jumped really far out of my comfort zone and exhibited my handmade cards and flowers at a Christmas Craft Fayre in Galashiels. I'm not sure where 2018 will take my wee business, Canny Hoolit Crafts, but I certainly enjoyed this initial challenge. I also gave my 26th pint of blood, so hopefully I'll get my 30th done in 2018.


December arrived and went by very quickly. There was a bit of running, including the Parkrun PB, and a brilliant Parkrun with my younger brothers on 23rd December, before a nasty cold got me and took weeks to get over. Christmas was perhaps a bit more subdued than previous years, but still very much good quality family time, with games played and memories made.


A trip to the west was the perfect way to end such an interesting year. Six Scots, five Germans, three kids and one dog stayed in old former hunting lodge on Loch Awe, bringing in 2018 with plenty of food, drink, fresh air and even a wee loony dook (which turned into a swim to Innis Chonnell on Loch Awe!).

2017 in numbers (I love numbers!): 
1212.5 miles walked
95 miles run
38 Zumba classes
13 Munros
2 sea swims - the Med and the North Sea!

I do feel positive about the year ahead. There are plans in place and amazing adventures on the cards. In a few months I will have a newborn niece or nephew, and I'm looking forward to a trip to France to meet baby! In July Dave and I will head to Copenhagen to see our nephew Arran compete in the RaceRunning Championships.

I have some big goals, which I'm not ready to say (or write!) just yet. I also have some targets - I'd love to reach 50 Munros, a target I didn't reach in 2017. I also would love to get to 50 Parkruns and bag my first of the free 'milestone' t-shirts!

Aside from that, I wish for a happy, healthy year for all my family and friends. 2017 brought some unique challenges and no doubt 2018 will have a few twists and turns along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment