Saturday 31 March 2018

March - miles & memories

It's crazy to think that March began with so much snow, and apart from a few days here and there, has remained a cold, wet month! Similar in some ways to March 2017 (Dave and I spent a brilliant week in West Linton with the dogs and getting plenty of miles/fresh air), but with far more snow this year of course.

Despite the weather, March has brought plenty of walking and plenty of running.

I've run two half marathons; the Inverness Half Marathon on 11th March and a 13.1 mile training run on Monday this week. I'm feeling in good shape for the Edinburgh Marathon at the moment, and my training is going to plan so far. I still have a long way to go (13 miles currently being the furthest I've run) but I think (hope) I am on the right track.

Much more important than the numbers though, March has also been a month for spending time with family and friends, walking the dogs, and making memories. I became an Aunty this month and am so excited about heading to France in a few weeks time to meet my nephew!


Best of all, I got to enjoy the most incredible experience with my big brother Andy. We attended a concert in October 2016 in memory of my cousin Elliot, in order to raise money for Jessie's Fund. One of the auction prizes was a seaplane flight over Loch Lomond, and both Andrew and I really wanted it! We went halfers and luckily made the winning bid. It took us nearly a year and a half to actually do the flight, due to life getting in the way, but it was well worth the wait!

We were so lucky with the day we had - snow-capped mountains set against a bright blue sky, and Loch Lomond looking its absolute finest.

It was very surreal to fly over a number of places that hold such dear memories for me, and to reflect on various different times of my life as we did so.

I could see Callander, Aberfoyle, the Lake of Menteith, the road to Inversnaid, Loch Lubnaig, Loch Katrine - all places I spent a lot of time as a tour driver guide for Rabbies.

I could see the West Highland Way path weaving its way over Conic Hill to Balmaha then onto Rowardennan, Inversnaid and on to Inverarnan. It was fitting that Andrew and I were together as five years ago we walked over Conic Hill and along Loch Lomond to Rowardennan. I remember Andrew saying that day "I never knew a loch side path could have so many gradients" - it was tough going but we made it!

I could see Munros that I'd bagged - Ben Lomond, Ben Vane, and Ben Vorlich (and more that I couldn't recognise so easily!)

Nearly ten years worth of memories triggered in this 40 minute flight, on a beautiful day with an awesome big bro. Truly special!




The month of March has ended on a high with a Parkrun PB of 24.18 this morning, in freezing muddy conditions. I've knocked over four minutes off my 5k time in 21 Parkruns, and I'm really chuffed to have such tangible evidence of progress.

I'm very close to my target of raising £1500 for Myositis UK (www.justgiving.com/fundraising/helen-runs-edinburgh-marathon) with just 8 weeks to go until the Edinburgh Marathon - eek!

And finally, today marks two years since we rescued our wonderful Patterdale terrier Tig. Two years of fun and frolics with a very mischievous little dog!
 2016 to 2017
2017 to 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment