Thursday 28 February 2019

Running - including a marathon! - whilst pregnant

In early to mid October 2018, I was coming towards the end of my training cycle for marathon number two, the Nice-Cannes Marathon on the 4th of November.

I completed my longest training run of 20 miles on Sunday 14th of October - a run which I found really tough but actually I wasn't sore at all the next day thanks to foam-rolling and salt and vinegar crisps afterwards!

On Monday 15th of October, three years to the day from when Dave proposed on Raasay, I took a pregnancy test and it was positive!

The next few weeks were full of worry about whether I should go ahead with running the marathon or not. I had literally just started tapering, my longest runs were out of the way, and physically I was feeling in the best shape of my adult life. I had run the 20 mile run without knowing I was pregnant, but psychologically there was now a huge shift in my head. Would I be harming the baby - at this point a tiny ball of cells called a blastocyst - be continuing to run long distances? And what about the heat in the south of France? Would that do me or baby any harm?

I did what most people would probably do at this point, and took to the internet to find out more! I found quite a lot of information about running during pregnancy - the consensus being that as long as you were doing it before falling pregnant, it was perfectly safe to continue for as long as you felt able. Adjustments would have to be made - running slower, keeping cool, and staying hydrated. But it could help with a healthy pregnancy and a healthy labour.

I didn't find a whole lot of information about specifically running a marathon whilst pregnant (except from the story of a woman who ran the Chicago Marathon whilst 39 weeks pregnant - incredible!). I stumbled upon two blogs that I found really useful:

1) 14 things you should know about running whilst pregnant: http://www.ahealthiermoo.com/index.php/2016/08/19/14-things-you-should-know-about-running-whilst-pregnant/

2) Running a marathon whilst pregnant: https://twelveminutemile.wordpress.com/2013/01/02/running-a-marathon-while-pregnant/

The second blog in particular was incredibly useful to me. The timings were very similar to my own, the worries and concerns written about were very similar to my own.

Ultimately I made the decision that it was so early in my pregnancy, I was in very good shape, and I'd regret not giving it a go.

As you'll know if you've read my blog post on the Nice-Cannes Marathon, I didn't have a good day in the running office! After telling my family, friends and colleagues our happy news during the festive period and early January, many people said to me that being pregnant explains why it didn't go well. However, I know in myself that my issues during the marathon were entirely stomach related and nothing to do with my sesame seed sized foetus!

Be that as it may, I'd be lying if I said the baby wasn't on my mind during the marathon, and therefore I'd concede that it did affect me in some way - but mentally rather than physically. I suppose part of that was feeling that running the marathon was a risk, and it didn't go well, so it wasn't a risk worth taking.

In hindsight I feel differently. As tough as it was, I'm so glad I did the marathon, and baby is happy and healthy. I can't wait to tell my child that they accompanied me on a long run from Nice to Cannes!

I've massively reduced my running ever since my second marathon. If I hadn't been pregnant, I think I'd have signed up for another spring marathon by this point, however I'm more than happy to put this on the backburner! I've had full support from the midwives I've seen that I am fine to keep running for as long as I can, provided I make adjustments when necessary and don't overdo it.

My body has dictated what I can and can't do. At the end of 2018, I was still running parkrun weekly, and continuing to run sub-24 and sub-25 minute 5ks. However as the weeks have gone on, I've found my pace has slowed down and the furthest I've run is four miles. I'm just so grateful I can still get out and do it, as I know it's not so straightforward for everyone.

I've been really lucky during my pregnancy thus far, with no sickness and generally feeling healthy. I've been very tired, and running certainly compounds this, but on the whole I've been physically fine.
16 weeks

I greatly miss training for 'something', and sometimes have felt my mental health has been impacted by not getting out for my 'therapy' a few times a week. I miss the fresh air and endorphins that running brings. I'm still walking plenty, and hope to start doing some swimming soon.

This week so far I've managed two short runs of two miles each. My legs felt sore and heavy, and my bladder is very unhappy with me whilst I'm running! However once I get home from a run these days and sit down, baby is very active indeed so I can only assume 'it' is happy in there! I feel in myself I won't be running too far into my pregnancy, but if I can get round a parkrun on a Saturday morning, no matter how slowly, I'll be delighted! I'll also be volunteering on the weeks I don't feel up to running.
20 weeks
Everyone will experience this differently, and what is right for me may not be right for you, so always seek medical advice before doing anything strenuous during pregnancy. There are numerous studies out there on the benefits of keeping fit and healthy whilst pregnant, but every woman is different, and you must do what's right for you. I know I've been very lucky to keep running so far (24 weeks today!), and I hope it can continue.

I haven't felt able to go anywhere near a Munro, as my legs struggle with even the slightest of inclines. But I'm looking forward to family trips around this beautiful country in the future - there are hills to be climbed, paths to venture down, and lochs and rivers to be swam in.

Our lives are changing and it's scary, exciting and wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment